Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PRIMERS AND POTIONS

I remember the days before I used cosmetic primers. My oily teenage skin made my foundation bleed, warp and flake and my eyeshadow lost its intensity before I even got home from school. Make-up primers have become more prevalent in the cosmetics industry and are a must have for any occasion.

I have a pretty decent primer and base collection from a few different brands. In this post, I will be displaying the primers and bases I use most often and why I think they're either awesome, or something you don't necessarily need in your daily routine.

FOR THE FACE
STARTING FROM LIGHTEST TO HEAVIEST


Clean & Clear Shine Control Moisturizer is probably my favorite facial moisturizer of the moment. As the product states, it really does help control oil and shine and makes for a great foundation base IF you're not looking for it to last all day or into the evening. The reason I like it (for a quick fix) is not only the oil control, but it helps the liquid foundation I use blend better by creating a smoother surface on the skin. This lotion is very light but hydrating at the same time.



MAC Prep and Prime for Skin is definitely my favorite facial primer of all time (MAC also makes a Prep and Prime product for Lips). Not only is it light but leaves skin in the best condition for any kind of foundation. It goes on as a light lotion but dries as a powder finish on the skin. It has a reflecting shimmer which helps skin look great in natural light! It is pretty expensive for such a small amount of product but worth every penny! I use this primer for special occasions, or when I'm having a horrible skin day, mix it with a less expensive primer to try to make it last longer. It works well mixed with the Clean & Clear moisturizer shown above.


Hard Candy makes a few different primers and this is the only one I've tried. Sheer Envy Skin Perfecting Primer is my LEAST favorite of all my primers. It has an extremely oily texture and even though it has a powder finish, my face feels oily underneath and the make-up spreads instead of blends. I definitely DO NOT recommend it. Sometimes I mix it with my liquid foundation to give it a sheerer finish, but other than that, it has no purpose for me!


L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base is an awesome product! It gives me skin the smoothest feel and creates an awesome and sleek canvas. My only complaint is the texture: extremely thick! It doesn't blend well, so I have to use a lot of product to cover my whole face and it comes in a small container. I also use this one sparingly and mix it with other lotions to make it last longer. It has a slight pink tint to it and shimmer to give the skin a youthful glow. The matte finish is gorgeous and leaves skin feeling soft. A+ for sure!

FOR THE EYES
FROM MATTES TO METALLICS



#1:  e.l.f. Eyelid Primer - I love this product! It's light, slightly tinted, blends awesomely and really helps hold color.
#2: Rubie's Cream Make-Up in Beige - This product helps to create an even skin tone on the eye area and to help shadows and pigments stay in place longer.
#3: Cinema Secrets in Light Flesh - Another awesome base, a thicker version of Rubie's, but harder to blend.
#4: MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork - One of my favorite products of all time. If you haven't used a Paint Pot before, please try one. They're great on their own or with shadows and pigments over them. This is a shimmery taupe color, which I like to use under light pinks and whites. 


#1: Rubie's Cream Make-Up in White - This is one of my most used bases. It's awesome with mineral pigments - allowing the bright color to show through as "true" instead of against a flesh tone.
#2: Rimmel Kohl Eyeliner in White - I love this as an eyeliner AND a base. It's very similar to NYX's Jumbo Pencil in Milk but at a fraction of the price. It blends smoothly and creates a great opaque base. 
#3: Rubie's Color Stick in White - Awesome for the lashline underneath bright colors!
#4: Rubie's Base Make-Up in White - A thick pure white base - awesome for pigments and bright colors. Doesn't crease or cake...just a little difficult to work with.



#1: Anna Sui Eye Gloss in 201 - An awesome and extremely sticky metallic base. This works best with loose shadows/pigments as well as glitter.
#2: e.l.f. Cream Eyeliner in Plum Purple - I love using this as a base for purple pigments and shadows more than I do as a cream liner. It's a little bit on the sheer side (unlike MAC Fluidline) and is great under other purple tinted powders.
#3: Cinema Secrets Cream Make-Up in Undead Purple - This is my favorite when it comes to horror make-up, it makes the most realistic looking bruise! I also love the consistency, it holds powders really well.
#4: Lancome Color Dose for Eyes in 305 Maupiti - I use this more for fantasy looks - it's very sheer and metallic but looks great under shadows and gives an extra pop of color.


 #1: Rubie's Cream Make-Up in Silver - Just like the other creams by Rubie's only this is metallic! I love using this under gray and silver shadows.
#2: e.l.f. Cream Eyeliner in Gunmetal - One of the most beautiful cream liner colors I have ever seen. It's full of shimmer, extremely metallic and is incredibly easy to work with, blend and apply. 


FOILING MEDIUMS


#1: Prestige Line Creator Liquid - This came with an eyeshadow trio and I have had trouble finding it for sale by itself. It's one of the coolest products I've seen yet. The applicator is shaped like a felt tip pen. All you do is dip it in a pressed or loose eyeshadow and the liquid formula turns it into a gorgeous liner! 
#2: Glittersniffer Cosmetics Chrome Serum - A great product for loose pigments. A little bit goes a longway! Just dampen your brush or a Q-Tip with Chrome Serum, then use your moist tool to apply eye shadow. It gives it a rich and creamy look then dries to a powder finish. It really helps with control and accuracy.
#3: Equate Original Redness Reliever (Visine Original Formula) - This works a lot like the Chrome Serum but doesn't give you the same intensity, just allows more control. It works great for turning pigments into a liquid liner. I use it mostly for creating sharp lines in the outer corner of my eye.


 GLITTER ADHESIVE


Hard Candy Show Girl's Secret Glitter Glue is by far the greatest adhesive for loose glitter I've found. It comes with a thin brush for accurate application, great for making small designs or lining the lashes. Though it states its used for the body, I have had no problems using it around the eye area. I would do a test first to see if you have an reactions to it before committing a whole day to this product. It can be a little runny so a little bit goes a long way. I've had it hold loose glitter for over 12 hours without fallout. 


Sally Girl (Sally Beauty Supply) Gel Adhesive for Glitter is definitely for use on the body. It is extremely runny and has a slightly alcoholic scent. I had a pretty severe reaction to this on my eyes that lasted a few days, even though there is no warning label that states this is only for use on the body. I would save this for the cheek area or for a fantasy look. I'm assuming since it's not great for the eye area it wouldn't do very well on the lips either.

Well, that's all for today and my collection of primers and bases. I hope this helped and you have gotten some great ideas!

xoxo
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment