Thursday, November 3, 2011

WILD AT HEART


A good friend of mine, Amber Cedroni, recently got a job as a music journalist for the international online magazine INSPIRER.nu. She wanted to put together a photoshoot for a feature she would be involved in and asked me to be her stylist! Of course, I said yes! We did a series of make-up and hair tests to see what would work best for the photo shoot. The actual shoot didn't take place because she reloacted to Florida (we will miss you, Amber) but at least we got these great tests shots I took for practice with my camera phone!


In this post you will find detailed descriptions on the make-up used and how her hair was styled. Enjoy!




AMBER'S EYES

After testing several color pallets, we decided we liked a cranberry/purple scheme. Not only did it work well with her complexion, but the purple made her brown eyes POP! 
PRODUCTS AND PLACEMENT:
After applying Amber's full foundation and concealer, I applied e.l.f. Eye Shadow Primer and blended it up towards her brow bone. Once her eyes were primed evenly, I applied MAC Eye Shadow in Cranberry to her entire lid and lower lashline, blending slightly towards the crease. Then, MAC Eye Shadow in Trax was used as a crease color, starting from the outer corner of her eyelid and blending towards her inner corner. Next, I used MAC Eye Shadow in Star Violet for her outer corner and lower lashline, using a flat brush to sketch the shape of a V that followed her natural eye shape. This was blended outwardly for a more dramatic look. No highlight color was used, instead I took MAC Eye Shadow in Gleam and washed it over her entire lid, outer corner and towards her brown bone. It added a nice golden shimmer to the entire look and lightened it up. Using an eyeliner brush, I used MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack along the lashline and extended it outwards to create a subtle cat-eye effect. Amber's eyebrows are thick, dark and in perfect shape so she needed no shadowing for this look. Instead, I used Lancome's Clear Brow Mascara to smooth any stray hairs and keep them in place. For a final touch, I had her apply MAC False Lash Mascara (two coats) instead of false lashes.

e.l.f. Eye Shadow Primer
MAC Eye Shadow in Cranberry (all over lid and lower lashline)
MAC Eye Shadow in Trax (crease)
MAC Eye Shadow in Star Violet (outer corner and lower lashline)
MAC Eye Shadow in Gleam (all over wash)
MAC Fluidline Eye Liner in Blacktrack
Lancome Brow Mascara in Clear
MAC False Lash Mascara in Black

AMBER'S LIPS
Everyone has their own opinion about balance on the face, but I've always felt it was better to add more drama to one area of the face. In this case, the focus was on her eyes, so I wanted to use a light lip color that wasn't going to be distracting from the final look. I lined her lips with MAC Lip Liner in In Sync and colored in with the same shade. Using a lip brush, I filled in the entire shape of her lips with MAC Lipstick in Hue followed by an all over gloss using Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in #20 Shiny Perfect Nude.

MAC Lip Liner in In Sync
MAC Lip Stick in Hue
Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in #20 Shiny Perfect Nude

AMBER'S HAIR
We had already decided to use a faux fur vest as the main focal point for her outfit, and I wanted her hair to look a little wild and disheveled but still modern. To get this look, I sectioned Amber's hair into 4 quadrants (center parting and ear to ear). Starting at her nape area, I took 1" sections and wrapped them around a 1" curling iron. I decided to wrap the hair instead of using the clamp in order for the ends to look a little straight. We weren't looking for banana curls! Each section alternated (wrapping left to right...then right to left for the next section). This process was continued throughout her entire head. Around her face, I wrapped the hair in the same direction (away from her face) so all of the hair would lay constistant and not get in her eyes. No product was used PRIOR to heat styling, to give it a more natural look. Once her hair was curled, I sprayed it lightly with hairspray and allowed it to set. Using my fingers, I picked up each curl and back combed. This added a slight frizziness to the curl without losing its shape. I back combed more heavily at her crown area for more volume. Once I was happy with the amount of volume I had achieved, I sprayed lightly again and she was all set! 

THE FINAL LOOK













 

No comments:

Post a Comment